The Center was established by Sapienza University of Rome in 2012 as an Interdepartmental Research and Services Center, upon the initiative of seven departments in the humanities area together with the Department of Computer, Automation and Management Engineering "Antonio Ruberti", the Department of Information Engineering, Electronics and Telecommunications, the Department of Computer Science, the Department of Communication and Social Research, the Department of Statistical Sciences.
Since August 2017, it has been an Interdepartmental Research Center, recently joined by the Department of Architecture and Design, the Department of History, Design and Restoration of Architecture, and the Department of Planning, Design and Technology of Architecture. More than one hundred of Sapienza’s researchers participate in DigiLab’s activities, in collaboration with companies, business networks, industrial associations, government institutions, local authorities, foundations.
The mission of DigiLab is to strengthen interdisciplinary scientific research in the field of cultural heritage and production, to manage particularly complex instruments and laboratories in the sector of digital technologies for culture, to communicate and enhance cultural heritage and to offer postgraduate and lifelong learning courses. More than one hundred of Sapienza’s researchers participate in DigiLab, within the following scopes of action:
- design and implementation of systems for the enhancement of cultural heritage, scientific communication, knowledge building and learning activities based on online heritage;
- online communication of the digital assets of Sapienza and of public and private entities;
- digitization and metadata operations of collections and cultural heritage according to European standards;
- coordination of the design and implementation of the Sapienza Digital Library;
- establishment and management of laboratories using or developing digital technologies for research activities within the scope of heritage;
- creation of digital installations and video productions within the scope of cultural heritage and cultural communication;
- support, planning and organization of lifelong learning courses within the activity areas of reference, also in collaboration with external bodies and in e-learning;
- research projects, promotion and/or participation in projects within the scope of European, national and regional calls in the activity areas of reference;
- involvement of students, in collaboration with their study courses, in activities related to the Center’s institutional mission.
Departments that are connected to DigiLab